Finished size: 12˝ x 12˝
This project uses the Quick & Easy Block Tool from C&T Publishing to make a quick and easy holiday pillow that you can give as a gift or use to decorate your own home.
Fabric scraps in 3 different colors for Star of Hope block
1/8 yard fabric (or scraps) for inner border
1/8 yard fabric (or scraps) for outer border
1/3 yard fabric for backing
1 1/2 yards decorative trim
1 square pillow form, 12˝ x 12˝
Star of Hope
Follow instructions for the 6˝ x 6˝ Star of Hope block (page 58) from the Quick & Easy Block Tool.
Cut 2 strips 1˝ x 6 1/2˝ for the side borders.
Cut 2 strips 1˝ x 7 1/2˝ for the top and bottom borders.
Cut 2 strips 3˝ x 7 1/2˝ for the side borders.
Cut 2 strips 3˝ x 12 1/2˝ for the top and bottom borders.
Cut 2 rectangles 8 1/2˝ x 12 1/2˝.
Cut 4 pieces 12 1/2˝ long. Seal the ends with Fray Check if desired.
Use a 1/4˝ seam allowance unless directed otherwise.
1. Follow the diagram on page 58 of the Quick and Easy Block tool to make a 6˝ x 6˝ finished Star of Hope block. Press the block and square up to 6 1/2˝ x 6 1/2˝ if needed.
2. Sew the 1˝ x 6 1/2˝ inner border strips to the sides of the completed block. Press. Sew the 1˝ x 7 1/2˝ inner border strips to the top and bottom of the completed block. Press.
3. Sew the 3˝ x 7 1/2˝ outer border strips to the sides of the pillow front. Press. Sew the 3˝ x 12 1/2˝ outer border strips to the top and bottom of the pillow front. Press the completed pillow front and square up to 12 1/2˝ x 12 1/2˝ if needed.
5. Fold and press one long edge of an 8 1/2˝ x 12 1/2˝ backing rectangle over 1/4˝ to the wrong side twice to make a double-fold hem. Topstitch close to the inner fold. Repeat with the remaining backing rectangle.
1. With right sides together, pin the backing pieces to the completed pillow front, all right sides together, aligning the outer edges, and overlapping the backing pieces across the center.
2. Stitch through all layers all around the edges, pivoting at each corner.
3. Turn the pillow cover inside out and press. Insert the pillow form. Optional: Handstitch a piece of leftover trim to the center of the Star of Hope block before filling the pillow.
Thanks again Rose!
Giveaway! We are giving away a Quick & Easy Block Tool** to one lucky winner! (sorry guys, U.S. only on this one…) To enter the giveaway, please tell us if you enjoy decorating your home for the holidays! The giveaway closes on December 20th! Good Luck!
**The Quick & Easy Block Tool is currently out of stock. The winner of this giveaway should expect to receive at the beginning of the new year!
C&T Publishing is now using the Rafflecopter service to manage our giveaways. Please note that you can choose how to participate in this giveaway – we are not requiring anyone to use Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or any other social media outlet. We are simply offering more entries into the giveaway should you choose to do so.
Please note that if you are leaving a comment on the blog as your form of entry – you will need to confirm that entry in the Rafflecopter form below – which you can log into with your name and email address – the same thing required to enter any of our giveaways in the past.