Hand Dyes are Simply to Die for…

Kim Schaefer’s hand dyes are simply to die for.  Really…. I mean it.  They are so rich and lush. Kim designed this line using Inktense Pencils.  I have been coveting these fabrics since I saw them at Fall Quilt Market. Kim was kind enough to send me some and Andover sent some to the office so I grabbed a copy of Kim’s latest book, Black & White, Bright & Bold, 24 Quilt Projects to Piece & Appliqué, and made the Boardwalk Runner for my son Jesse’s birthday. I used all the green and blue Hand Dyes and some of Kim’s Salt & Pepper.

Machine Quilting on my Bernina

Black & White, Bright & Bold, Machine Quilting on my Bernina

Trimming in my sewing room

Trimming in my sewing room

Sideview, Black & White, Bright & Bold

Boardwalk Runner Finished Sideview, Black & White, Bright & Bold

Boardwalk Runner, Black & White, Bright & Bold

Boardwalk Runner, Black & White, Bright & Bold

I am really happy with how the runner came together. I brought in the top and Gailen was kind enough to give me some advice on how to do the quilting. I decided to mimic the sheet music lines and only quilt on the B&W fabric. I gave the runner to Jesse yesterday and he loved it. Once again, I am reminded how I love to give handmade gifts because it brings the giver and receiver so much joy.

This entry was posted in Behind the Scenes, Inspiration, News & Events, Staff Pick, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

9 Comments

1. Julie Beard
    Posted February 6, 2014 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Love the black and white fabic the design in it is absolutely wonderful. You are so lucky to work with such lovely fabric too! Your runner turned out brilliantly!!!!

2. Armida Newstedt
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I am always thrilled by beautiful fabric. The right fabric can make even a simple project wonderful. I am going to search out this line so I can add some of these vibrant colors to my own work.
    Thanks for the look and the inspiration!

3. CatGirl
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Beautiful runner, Amy. Love Kim Schaefer’s work.

4. CatGirl
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Your runner is gorgeous, Amy, and Kim Schaefer is so creative with her fabric and her designs. Thanks to both of you.

5. CatGirl
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I absolutely LOVE your runner, Amy, and agree with your attraction to hand-dyed fabric. In addition, I LOVE everything that Kim Schaefer brings to our quilting world. I’m so impressed with all the talent within C&T.

6. Barb R
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I absolutely adore the big, bold black and white graphic that is used for the backing. Fabulous!

7. Theresa M
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Intense colors…….Like them a lot!

8. Cindy Wienstroer
    Posted February 5, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Very nice and a great contrast between the colors and the b&w. Good job!

9. Ann
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Very nice and love fabrics thanks

• january

All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool, Updated Second Edition by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson, and Liz Aneloski for C&T Publishing
  • Backyard Birds by Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins for C&T Publishing
  • January – Stash Books

Quilt Lab--The Creative Side of Science by Alexandra Winston for Stash Books
  • me & my sewing adventure - an intermediate guide by Kate Haxell for Stash Books
  • january – stash products

• At Home with Modern June by Kelly McCants for Stash Books
  • March – Stash Books Products

Posey Patch - Eco Tote by Corey Yoder for Stash Books
  • March – FunStitch Studio

We Love to Sew--Bedrooms by Annabel Wrigley for FunStitch Studio
  • April

Quilting... Just a Little Bit Crazy by Allie Aller and Valerie Bothell for C&T Publishing
  • Bargello--Quilts in Motion by Ruth Ann Berry
  • April – Stash Books

The Better Bag Maker by Nicole Mallalieu for Stash Books
  • Tenny Tiny Megagerie by Noriko Komurata for Stash Books
  • April – FunStitch Studio

Sew in Style--Make Your Own Doll Clothes by Erin Henztel for FunStitch Studio
  • May – Stash Books

Free-Motion Quilting Workbook by Angela Walters for Stash Books
  • Stitch 'n Swap by Jake Finch for Stash Books
  • Make & Love Quilts by Mary Fons for Stash Books
  • Boutique Casual for Boys & Girls by Sue Kim for Stash Books
  • May – Stash Books Products

Orbit Eco Tote designed by Jennifer Sampou for Stash Books
  • May – FunStitch Studio

The Wonderful Colorful Wonder Wheel of Color by Lynn Koolish, Kerry Graham, and Mary Wruck for FunStitch Studio
  • June

Pictorial Art Quilt Guidebook by Leni Levenson Wiener for C&T Publishing
  • Emporia Rose Applique Quilts by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh for C&T Publishing
  • June Stash Books