Pat Campbell, Dynamic Appliqué Artist

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013, the quilt world lost a legend.

Everyone at C&T Publishing is saddened with the news that Pat Campbell of Dallas Texas has passed away in her home surrounded by loved ones.

patcampbell

Pat was a dynamic quilt artist, teacher, fabric designer, and author known for her unique style of Jacobean applique. Pat’s use of non-traditional style patterns and bold colors have won her many ribbons and awards. She worked with thousands of students over the years to master and appreciate the art and skill of appliqué. In the Fall of 1998 she authored Jacobean Rhapsodies along with co-author Mimi Ayers for C&T Publishing.

Pat took her first quilting class in 1984 and had always been drawn to the fantasy botanicals of the Jacobean style crewel embroidery designs. Adapting these graceful curves and stylized leaves to appliqué designs have won Pat many awards over the years. Pat has been the recipient of 3 Best of Show awards, one in Lancaster, Louisville, KY, Dallas, 2 Founders Awards in Houston, and 2 Pride of Dallas awards at Dallas Quilt Celebration.

I’ve always enjoyed working with Pat and her husband John and our hearts go out to John and the rest of the family. Pat will be dearly missed by all who knew her.

This entry was posted in Behind the Scenes, News & Events and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

11 Comments

1. Victoria P.
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Pat was loved by so many.
    We were all lucky to have had her in our lives!

2. Posted May 1, 2013 at 6:39 am | Permalink

I’m so sad to have just found out about Pat’s passing. I was fortunate to meet Pat and John in Dayton, OH before Pat became sick. I’m so glad I bought just about everything she and John had brought with them (1 of each). I will treasure everything I have from Pat, especially how she was her own person. Just loved her colourful take on applique and life. R.I.P. Pat you will be missed by many. Take care of yourself John.

3. Posted April 17, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink

The first time I saw one of Par’s quilts at the Dallas Quilt show, more than 20 years ago, I was entranced. I wanted nothing more than to learn how to do the beautiful applique I saw in her quilts. I tracked her down and took two classes with her and have spent many happy hours appliquing, using Pat’s technique. She was a lovely person and a gifted artist. The world is darker with her passing.

4. Marylou Hill
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

What’s not to love about a woman who thought of the colour red as a ‘neutral’! She will be missed and fondly remembered

5. Valerie Curtis
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I am so sorry to hear this. Pat was absolutely the best applique teacher I ever had and a fun person. She will be missed.

6. Christine Harris
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Pat excited me about applique at the International Quilt Show in Chicago several years ago. I will never forget her and her enthusiasm. I send my prayer and sympathy to her family.

7. Cynthia Green
    Posted March 27, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Pat had her stroke at about the same time I discovered her work. It has been an inspiration to me. I’m sure Heaven is more beautiful with her coming.

8. Posted March 27, 2013 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Pat made the world a beautiful place and her friendship was a treasure. I will miss her. Hugs to John who cared for Pat so lovingly and continues to be a treasure.

9. Deborah
    Posted March 26, 2013 at 5:19 am | Permalink

A beautiful lady such as her will never be forgotten. She will always be on all of our shoulders. Our prayers of comfort go out to her family.

10. Posted March 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

I met Pat once before her stroke. She was one class act.

11. Victoria P.
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

God needed an Angel to add color and beauty to a special spot.

• january

All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool, Updated Second Edition by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson, and Liz Aneloski for C&T Publishing
  • Backyard Birds by Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins for C&T Publishing
  • January – Stash Books

Quilt Lab--The Creative Side of Science by Alexandra Winston for Stash Books
  • me & my sewing adventure - an intermediate guide by Kate Haxell for Stash Books
  • january – stash products

• At Home with Modern June by Kelly McCants for Stash Books
  • March – Stash Books Products

Posey Patch - Eco Tote by Corey Yoder for Stash Books
  • March – FunStitch Studio

We Love to Sew--Bedrooms by Annabel Wrigley for FunStitch Studio
  • April

Quilting... Just a Little Bit Crazy by Allie Aller and Valerie Bothell for C&T Publishing
  • Bargello--Quilts in Motion by Ruth Ann Berry
  • April – Stash Books

The Better Bag Maker by Nicole Mallalieu for Stash Books
  • Tenny Tiny Megagerie by Noriko Komurata for Stash Books
  • April – FunStitch Studio

Sew in Style--Make Your Own Doll Clothes by Erin Henztel for FunStitch Studio
  • May – Stash Books

Free-Motion Quilting Workbook by Angela Walters for Stash Books
  • Stitch 'n Swap by Jake Finch for Stash Books
  • Make & Love Quilts by Mary Fons for Stash Books
  • Boutique Casual for Boys & Girls by Sue Kim for Stash Books
  • May – Stash Books Products

Orbit Eco Tote designed by Jennifer Sampou for Stash Books
  • May – FunStitch Studio

The Wonderful Colorful Wonder Wheel of Color by Lynn Koolish, Kerry Graham, and Mary Wruck for FunStitch Studio
  • June

Pictorial Art Quilt Guidebook by Leni Levenson Wiener for C&T Publishing
  • Emporia Rose Applique Quilts by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh for C&T Publishing
  • June Stash Books