I am so inspired by Rebekah Meier’s new book, More Fabric Art Collage…the sequel to her bestselling Fabric Art Collage. Between her two books, there are over 100 mixed media techniques! She shows how much fun it is to layer together richly textured surfaces like Lutradur®, Ultra-Light Lutradur®, Timtex®, and bamboo batting. Tinting and printing everything with yummy colors and imagery is a blast, too!
Our new product coming out in May, Artful Fiber—A Mixed Pack of Fibers & Surfaces, makes it so easy to experiment with tons of different ideas. I’ve been working a lot with the Artful Fiber pack over the past few months, designing projects and filming technique tutorials for my new Artful Fiber Video eBook that will be releasing in a few weeks…more on that soon!
All my color tinting was done with Liquitex® Acrylic inks, custom-blended from primary colors to create water washes that I brushed on. I also edged each collage piece with Copic markers and used Beacon’s 3-in-1 Craft Glue to adhere everything. I stabilized the batting with Shape-Flex® on the back, then glued a wide strip of double-thick cardstock (with a hole punched) on the back for hanging. The diagram below gives you some more details so you can create something similar in your own signature style and colors – have fun!
1. Bamboo batting
2. Lutradur (100gm) – inkjet printed with a photo I took of the gravel in my yard
3. Timtex interfacing
4. Lutradur (70gm) – distressed with a heat gun
5. Lutradur (70gm) – 2 pieces with a narrow hand-rolled bead made from a strip of Ultra-Light Lutradur, plus a handmade spiral polymer clay bead
6. Timtex interfacing – ink was blended with Liquitex Iridescent Medium
7. Lutradur (100gm) – inkjet printed with a photo I took of the leaves on a loquat tree in my yard