“Happy Feet” Felt Baby Booties

You will need

Fabrics

• 24cm x 30cm wide (9 1/2″ x 12″) piece of wool felt for one pair of booties

Supplies

• 60cm (23 5/8″) narrow ribbon for the ties
  • Threads
  • Stranded cottons to complement the sea green and white color of the felt

Equipment

• Tracing paper
  • Sharp pencil
  • Water-soluble fabric marker
  • No. 8 sharp needle
  • No. 22 chenille needle

How to Make the Booties

Patterns and templates

Click here to download the bootie pattern, embroidery and appliqué templates PDF. Use the pencil to trace the pattern pieces and placement marks onto tracing paper. Cut out. Use the large needle to pierce holes at the marked positions for the shoelace and at the center front of the toe piece. Make a template for your chosen bootie motif in the same way.

Cutting out

Referring to the cutting layout, trace each bootie piece twice onto the felt and mark the dots through the pierced holes using the fabric marker. Cut out the pieces.

Cutting layout

1. Sole
2. Back
3. Toe

Green Booties with Stars

Center the star template over the marked dot on the bootie front. Trace around the circle with the fabric marker (diag 2). Repeat for the second bootie front piece.

stitching

Secure two strands of the green thread on the back and bring it to the front on the marked circle. Take the needle to the back at the center. Work a second straight stitch next to the first, taking the needle to the back through the same hole at the center (diag 3). Continue to work straight stitches around the entire circle in this way. Stitch the white highlights, using two strands of thread. Secure the thread and bring it to the front a short distance from the edge of the star. Take the needle to the back halfway along and between two green stitches (diag 4).

Continue to work white highlights around the circle in this way, spacing the stitches 3mm (1/8″) apart.

Make the perfect gift for a special baby

By using the same small designs to decorate hats, singlets or bibs you can easily make a special gift that is sure to be treasured.

constructing the booties

1. Edging the front and back pieces

Use two strands of thread in a color to complement the felt to sew the booties together with blanket stitch.  Tie a knot at the end of the thread. Bring it to the front at one side of the upper edge of the bootie front piece. Take the needle to the back through the same hole, leaving a loop. Slide the needle through the loop (diag 1). Pull the thread through, anchoring the loop around the thread. Take the needle through the felt a short distance from the first stitch. Push it through until the tip appears beyond the felt edge, keeping the thread under the tip of the needle (diag 2).

Pull the thread through. Work a second blanket stitch around the edge of the felt a short distance from the first (diag 3). Continue along the edge in this way until reaching the opposite side. After the last stitch, bring the needle to the front through the same hole in the fabric to anchor the last stitch (diag 4). Work a tiny stitch, taking the needle to the back.

Secure the thread under the stitches on the back. Work blanket stitch over the upper edge of the remaining front and two back pieces in the same way.

2. Assembling the booties

Matching placement marks at the center front, pin and tack a bootie toe piece to a sole piece (diag 5). Matching placement marks at the center back, pin and tack a bootie back to the sole, overlapping the toe piece at the sides (diag 6).

Secure the thread inside the bootie. Slide the needle between the layers to bring it to the front at the edge (diag 7).

Work blanket stitch in a similar way to the edges of the upper pieces, stitching through all layers around the edge of the bootie to join the upper pieces to the sole (diag 8). Carefully remove the tacking stitches.

Finishing

Cut the length of ribbon in half. Thread one piece into the large needle. Take the needle to the back at one marked position of the bootie back.
Bring the needle to the front at the marked position at the opposite side (diag 9). Unthread the needle. Tie the laces in a bow.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

March is National Craft Month and we are celebrating by posting one project every day this month! If you are joining us late, click here to see the full list of Craft Month projects that have been posted so far.

This entry was posted in Free Projects, Sewing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

25 Comments

1. Posted March 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

2. Posted December 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

These are truly wonderful ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some good factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

3. Posted September 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin
    for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

4. Posted September 10, 2012 at 3:41 am | Permalink

This is a good site, I can not believe that
    I didn’t wander onto it sooner

5. ninuk
    Posted June 22, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

just made a pair of these shoes.. made it from lime green felt.. thank your for posting this :D

6. Dannielle Shaw
    Posted May 1, 2012 at 1:37 am | Permalink

awesome pattern thanks did posting. I just made a pair in soft leather they look so cute :-)

7. Kelly
    Posted April 12, 2012 at 6:08 am | Permalink

What size does the pattern fit?
    these are super cute, just added 2 new babies to the family and 1 more on the way, I better get busy! :) Thanks!

8. Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:39 am | Permalink

I made 4 pair of these. Just adorable and great for gift giving.

9. Posted January 24, 2012 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Howdy very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am satisfied to seek out numerous useful info here in the submit, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

10. Peebee Max
    Posted December 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I was so happy when I found these booties. I saw some being made on hgtv, but there were no instruction online. These are perfect and I can make them for the 4 month old I keep, and also for my 17 month old great-grandbaby. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who sees this comment.

11. Noreen
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

My daughter is expecting a little girl in June. I am going to try this pattern using flannel – sole will be a double layer (maybe batting between?) and I’ll add a mini fabric Yo-yo as the decoration!
    Nana

12. Elara
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Love these booties! So cuuuuuuuute. Would like to make them for my daughter, but she is wearing size four. Are these only for newborns or can I change the pattern to size four or even five?

13. Posted August 9, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

My church, CASA’S in NW Tucson, AZ, has a group called HOLY NEEDLES. People meet twice a month, either on a Mon. afternoon, or on a Sat. morning. At the meetings we make newborn-infant hats, booties, jackets, receiving blankets, fleece throws, and quilts. Now the group has expanded. People are making afghans, quilts, shawls, fleece throws, and so on, for people in the hospital, in hospice, undergoing cancer treatment, or wherever the need arises. When I saw the felt baby booties. I was so excited!!! I can’t wait to make a pair! They look so warm and cozy. Thanks for sharing the pattern. CK <

14. LeAnn D
    Posted May 14, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

These booties are adorable. I would like to make them but was wondering if the felt material could be washed without damaging the shoes? If so what are the washing instructions? I would appreciate the information, please and thank you.

15. christin
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

amazing…..perfect idea for baby booties…nice…..

16. Joan F
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

What sweet little tootsie warmers! I have 2 new babies in my life to make some for. Thank yo9u for a lovely pattern

17. Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

These are so cute, thank you for the tuorial!

18. Posted April 3, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Oh How cute!!! my soon to be grandson will be wearing some of these!!! Thanks :)

19. Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

These are sooo fabulous! Thanks so much for the great giftable project, I’ll be linking in tomorrow’s Daily DIY.

20. Cre8iveCrafter
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

RT @ctpublishing: Craft MOnth Project of the Day: “Happy Feet” Felt Baby Booties – http://www.ctpubblog.com/2010/03/22/happ

21. lisalizalou
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

22. Glenda Hart
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

These are so cute and my grandson would look adorable in them. One problem I am severely allegic to wool, any other fabric suggestions.

23. Posted March 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Like Catherine, I too just discovered your blog and I LOVE it! These booties are beyond adorable. Thanks for sharing! Keep up the great work!

24. Catherine
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

just discovered your site! looking forward to learn more each day! i am home recovering from surgery, & need some craft ideas! excited to get started! thanks, catherine

25. Ann
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

These would be cute for a baby shower. Just think everyone would say oooooooh! and ahhhhhhhh! I think I would use a stonger ribbon for tie. Those babies can be rough and tough with their kicking. Just a thought.

6 Trackbacks